mintCast 248 – The 5 W’s and H of Distro Beta Testing
- Linux Mint 18 BETA releases for MATE and Cinnamon (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3038) (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3035)
- Linux Mint saves the day! (http://freedompenguin.com/articles/opinion/linux-mint-saves-day/)
- The next fight for Linux (https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/whats-our-next-fight)
- Software Freedom Conservancy’s Karen Sandler On FOSS and the IoT (http://fossforce.com/2016/06/oftware-freedom-conservancy-karen-sandler-foss-iot/)
- Real hackers don’t wear hoodies (https://www.linux.com/news/real-hackers-dont-wear-hoodies-cybercrime-big-business)
- Why Microsoft is turning into an open-source company (http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-microsoft-is-turning-into-an-open-source-company/)
- Rob talks about everything you need to know about BETA testing
Tips & Websites:
- Linux Mint roadmap
- If hearing us talk about BETA testing sparked your interest or curiosity, then here’s a link to the roadmap so you can follow the progress of the development team as they move the BETA release to the stable release
- Isaac read Prisoner’s Dilemma
- Good book about John von Neumann, game theory and the dilemmas presented by the Atomic bomb.
- “Yesterday’s Conversation” by Angus Wallace
- “The Red Stone” by Ground & Leaves
- 2016 Ohio LinuxFest – October 7-8, 2016
- Texas Linux Fest 2016 – July 8-9, 2016, Austin Convention Center, Austin, TX
- FOSS TALK LIVE 2016 – August 6, 2016, The Harrison, London, UK
- Sold out, but no reason you can’t go to the pub they will be at and have a beer and talk with other FOSS lovers
- List of conferences according to the Linux Foundation
Hosts: Rob, Scott, Joe and Isaac
Live Stream every other Sunday 2:00 p.m.(Central): mintcast.org/livestream
- Forum: forums.linuxmint.com (rarely)
- Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @mintCast @3dbeef @txhawkins @JoeRessington @stupidcoder @Linux_Mint
- IRC: irc.spotchat.org – #mintcast
- Google+: mintCast
More Linux Mint info: website, blog, forums, community
Podcast Entry and exit music provided by Mark Blasco (podcastthemes.com). Podcast bumpers provided by Oscar.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
3 Replies to “mintCast 248 – The 5 W’s and H of Distro Beta Testing”
One additional reason for Microsoft to go with BSD over Linux could be that Mac OSX is a descendant of BSD, and their calculation could be that it might be a more familiar environment for a wider variety of developers.
The LM 18 MATE beta looks good so far. Something mentioned elsewhere, the Mint release timing allowed them to include MATE version 1.14 while Xenial 16.04 only got 1.12.
If you are testing under Virtualbox, Mint changed something that allows the installer work with legacy BIOS versus Ubuntu that needs a workaround.
References to the demise of compuserve etc ‘walled gardens’ is not everyones experience. In some countries the typical users portal to almost everything is through one centralised app – ‘apparently’ this is the case in China, where one app/site acts as a portal to everything, with what we know as apps being add ons to this one front end. Almost all of a persons interactions for news, info, etc even banking, goes through the one service.
So your perception of what the internet has become may depend on where you’re viewing it from.