390 – This is the Way(land)
1:20 The News
15:47 Security and Privacy
21:07 Bi-Weekly Wonderings
35:42 The Linux Innards
56:58 Vibrations from the Ether
1:03:45 Check This Out
First up in the news, Gnome wins Microsoft money, Firefox translates offline, Rocky overtakes the Red Hat pack, apps on KDE look more klear, Debian gets the Gecko treatment, Zoom gets Wayland screen sharing, Photoshop is kind-of–but not-really coming to Linux, and Nvidia contributes.
In security and privacy, Hertzbleed is coming for your CPU, and the EU is going after deepfakes.
Then in our Wanderings, Moss goes Custom, Norbert emerges, and Joe is Florida Man
In our Innards section we discuss the various licenses in the world of open source software
And finally, the feedback and a couple of suggestions
- GNOME wins Microsoft’s FOSS Fund
- Mozilla made a Firefox plugin for offline translation
- Rocky Linux Shoots Ahead
- This week in KDE: non-blurry XWayland apps!
- SpiralLinux: It’s Debian, in the same way Gecko is openSUSE
- Zoom Linux App Supports Screensharing on Wayland
- Adobe Photoshop For Web Is Free For All Now
- NVIDIA Lands AV1 VDPAU Hardware Acceleration In FFmpeg
Security and Privacy Update
- Hertzbleed is a new family of side-channel attacks affecting Intel and AMD CPUs, making use of frequency side channels
- The EU Is Asking Big Tech To Go After Deepfakes And Fake Accounts
- GNU General Public License (GPL)
- GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)
- BSD licenses
- MIT license (MIT)
- Apache License 2.0 (Apache-2.0)
- Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL-2.0)
- Creative Commons
- Next Episode – 2 pm US Central time on Sunday, July 10, 2022
- Get mintCast converted to your time zone
- Next Live Stream – 2 pm US Central time on Saturday, July 2, 2022.
- Get the Live Stream converted to your time zone
- Livestream information is at mintcast.org/livestream
- Joe – Tllts.org, linuxlugcast.com, MeWe, firstname.lastname@example.org, Buy Joe a coffee
- Norbert – email@example.com
- Josh T – firstname.lastname@example.org, Josh Thacker on Discord, and @Metal_FOSS on Twitter
- Nishant – email@example.com,riconghost on instagram, riconghost@Github, Ghost.Ricon on DIscord, maverick00783 @ Steam
- Moss – firstname.lastname@example.org, you can hear me on Distrohoppers’ Digest and Full Circle Weekly News, and you can find more contact information for me on It’s MOSS.
- Bill – email@example.com, @wchouser3 on Twitter,and Bill_H on Discord
Before we leave, we want to make sure to acknowledge some of the people who make mintCast possible:
- A cast of thousands for our audio editing, including Norbert, Londoner, Tony Hughes, and others. We continue to need volunteers for our audio editing, please contact us.
- Bill Houser and Josh Lowe for their work on the website, and Bill Howser for hosting the Linode which runs our website
- Hobstar for our logo, initrd for the animated Discord logo
- Londoner for our time syncs
- Archive.org for hosting our audio files
- The Linux Mint development team for the fine distro we love to talk about. Thanks, Clem!