mintCast 361 – The Launch Launch
2:16 Bi-Weekly Wanderings
38:33 The News
1:02:53 Security Update
1:19:36 Announcements & Outro
First up, in our Wanderings, I start building, Joe writes with a pinecil, Tony upgrades, Josh fights a game, and Bo tries to leaf.
Then, our news Audacity gets bought up, System76 Launches the Launch, and LibreOffice Lets you Search!
In security, the death of CAPTCHA
- Audacity taken over by Muse Group
- The Audacity Takeover by Muse Group is No Cause for Celebration
- Microsoft embraces Linux kernel’s eBPF super-tool, extends it for Windows
- ‘A fair amount of stuff, all over the place’: Torvalds closes merge window for Linux 5.13 with support for Apple M1
- System 76 Launch Launches
- Six Years After The Request, LibreOffice 7.2 Offers Searchable Commands
- We’re putting OGG to sleep. Forever.
- Mp3 has been patentless for more than three years now and that’s free enough for us. It cuts down on back end workload since we do most everything manually when it comes to getting the show out there.
- No need to change feeds! The mp3 will now come down in the OGG feed. Just don’t look under the covers, and hopefully absolutely nothing noticeable will change.
- Moss extended hiatus
- The New Saturday Show (mintNight? mintTalk? No official name yet.)
- Our next episode will be at 2 pm US Central time on May 30, 2021.
- Get the show time converted to your time zone!
- Joe – www.Tllts.org, www.linuxlugcast.com, MeWe, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bo – YouTube Undercast Collective
- Moss – It’s MOSS, MeWe, several blogs, music on Bandcamp and on various YouTube channels, @email@example.com on Mastodon, firstname.lastname@example.org, Full Circle Weekly News, Sponsus!
- Tony Hughes – HPR – http://hackerpublicradio.org/correspondents.php?hostid=338, Occasional Blog https://tony-hughes.blogspot.com/, Twitter @TonyH1212, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tony Watts – email@example.com, Echoes of Savages (band)
- Josh Hawk – firstname.lastname@example.org, @joshontech on Twitter and most other social sites. Crowbar Kernel Panic on Spotify.
- Mike – email@example.com and GrouchyM on Discord
- Leo – leochavez.org and @leochavez on Twitter, firstname.lastname@example.org, linuxuserspace.show. Buy me a coffee!
Before we leave, we want to make sure to acknowledge some of the people who make mintCast possible …
- Owen Peery for our audio editing, Josh Lowe for all his work on the website, Hobstar for our logo, initrd for the animated logo, and Londoner for our time sync
- Bytemark Hosting for hosting mintcast.org and our Mumble server
- Archive.org for hosting our audio files
- HPR for our backup Mumble room
- The Linux Mint development team for the fine distro we love to talk about <Thanks, Clem!>