mintCast 296 VPN and PI
- Setting up PiVPN and Pi-Hole on Pi’s and migrating them to a full Ubuntu VM.
- Testing out K/Ubuntu 18.10.
- Solus broke for me, gamingwise.
- Tony H
- Using a USB sound card so I could use my headset with integrated microphone on my Toshiba z30 with only a combined audio jack, while on the road last week. Worked flawlessly during the mumble discussion
- Playing with OSMC on raspberry pi
- flashing up my Motorola lapdock more on that later.
- Tony W
- Tinkering with Plex, Kodi for Xbox One, bulk file renamer (built into Caja, Thunar)
- Procured a Pi Zero
- USB Sticks – color-coded distros for helpful installations
- Continued playing with OpenMandriva 3.03. Had a glitch in GRUB after kernel upgrade, fixed it.
- Tried Rosa, it locked stuff on my computer, had to install something else on that partition to fix it. Will wait for OM4 and install that.
- Received a Raspberry Pi 1 with clear case from Joe.
- Got a cover for my Fire tablet we talked about, another gift from the mintCast crew.
- Jack audio setup podcast studio
- Linux servers never die
- More work on youtube-dl and sshfs
- Working on kidsbizclub.org
- In Groundbreaking Decision, Feds Say Hacking DRM to Fix Your Electronics Is Legal
- Motorola Supports Right to Repair with Hardware Repair Kits
- Opera will block those annoying cookie dialog boxes on its Android app
- Opera CEO: Sale To Chinese Consortium Wasn’t Our Decision article says $1.2B
- Opera sold to Chinese company for $600M
- Samsung project “Linux on Dex” enters Beta
- Mark Shuttleworth says he’s not selling anytime soon
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ Released For $25
- Finally! The Venerable RISC OS is Now Open Source
- What is a VPN?
- Why do I need one?
Some free options: https://www.techradar.com/vpn/the-best-free-vpn-services-of-2018
- Apps, openVPN, or Wireguard?
- Router VPN or Device-based?
- PiVPN for logging into my home network and tinkering with my various services (Plex, OpenMediaVault, Pi-Hole, etc.).
- Pi-Hole for removing ads around the web. uBlock origin for everything Pi-Hole misses.
- Tony H
- OSMC Box for playing all my ripped DVD’s and video from the net. Installed to both a Pi 2 which works very well, and to a Pi Zero W, which works well if a little slowly, I wouldn’t want to use the Zero W for streaming web video, say from YouTube, but just to play local media it works fine.
- I also installed the Pi version of Ubuntu Maté which works well on a Raspberry Pi 3 but seriously struggles to set up correctly on the Pi2 although this was with my Lapdock and I need to investigate if this is the problem or if the Pi2 is just a little underpowered for Ubuntu, despite Raspbian working without a hitch.
- Tony W
- Previewing Pi Zero Retropie, Wiimote pairing and Arcade cabinet
- VPN docker
- SSH port forwarding
- Secure messaging
- Daily Drawing bot
- Got my Pi 11/13, waiting for SD card for OS
Check This Out
- Sourcegraph: An Open-Source Source Code Search Engine
- CPod: An Open Source, Cross-platform Podcast App
- mintCast t-shirts? Hoodies? Stickers? Thoughts…