mintCast 172 – Lightweight Linux Desktops
- Linux Mint Monthly Update (blog.linuxmint.com)
- LXLE – LXDE on Steroids (onlinehome.us) (lxle.net)
- Unlocked $80 Firefox OS phone to hit eBay soon (linuxgizmos.com) (itworld.com)
- Development Release: SolusOS 2 Alpha 8 (distrowatch.com) (solusos.com)
- Microsoft warns it’ll hand out zero days for Windows XP (theregister.co.uk)
The Main Topic: Lightweight Linux Desktops
- Xfce – xfce.org
- Linux Mint Xfce – blog.linuxmint.com
- LXDE – lxde.org
- Fluxbox – fluxbox.org
- Openbox – openbox.org and crunchbang.org
- Puppy Linux – puppylinux.org or www.puppylinux.com
- Damn Small Linux – www.damnsmalllinux.org
- Tinycore – www.tinycorelinux.net
- Looking through my personal list of useful commands, I wonder if you have used the sync command as a tip? It’s a command that writes all data to a disk. I use it when I want to make sure all the data is written to a flash drive before I unmount it so I know I won’t lose data.
- Should you sync multiple times?
- “The sync folklore dates from the very old days when Unix was primitive…”
- “The act of unmounting a filesystem using umount will sync the data to the disk before it unmounts it.”
Watch for “Event” announcements in the mintCast Community on Google+ to find out when we’re recording!
Live Stream (Mondays at 8:00 p.m. Eastern): mintcast.org
- Forum: forums.linuxmint.com
- Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @mintCast @Linux_Mint @3dbeef @jamescoyner @txhawkins
- IRC: irc.spotchat.org – #mintcast
- Google+: mintCast
Podcast Entry and exit music provided by Mark Blasco (podcastthemes.com). The podcast bumpers were provided by Oscar.