Episode 71: News With a Side of GIT
News & Personal Updates
- 0:09:45 mintCast has been named one of the top three Linux podcast in Linux Format’s most recent issue.
- 0:13:15 For the second year in a row, Joe “Zonker” Brockmeir, writing on linux.com has included Linux Mint on his annual scorecard of the top Linux distros
- 0:15:37 A potentially landmark case is being argued against the GPL in German courts
- 0:25:29 Dropbox security glitch allowed anyone to access user accounts
Seven dropbox alternatives
- Lightning News round
- 0:28:34 Linux Mint 11 LXDE has completed testing and is approved for RC release (not available just yet)
- 0:30:04 Karen Sandler is named new executive director of the Gnome Foundation
- 0:30:36 91% of the top 500 supercomputers run Linux, compared to 1.6% running Windows
- 0:34:12 Mozilla has released Firefox 5, three months to the day after the release of Firefox 4 and is already in the Mint repositories
- 0:36:14 Apple threatens open source Amahi project with legal action
- 0:46:13 Project ‘Sweettooth’ aims to help Gnome 3 users with easy install of shell extensions
- 0:50:40 Blender 2.58 gets released
- 0:51:05 Synaptic to be dropped from Ubuntu 11.10
- 0:52:24 A quick GIT walkthrough
Website of the Week
Tip of the Week
- To pull updates from a development repo use git pull origin and it will pull and merge any updates into the local repository.
- Send in mintCast logos and T-Shirt designs for a chance to win one of the new mintCast T-Shirts in our contest.
The best logos and designs will win a free T-Shirt, so send in your designs by July 10th.
Hosts: Rob, Scott, James, Harrison
Subscribe to the podcast: [iTunes] [Zune] [RSS MP3] [RSS OGG]
Email: [email protected]mintcast.org
Twitter: @mintCast @Linux_Mint
IRC: irc.spotchat.org – #mintcast
More Linux Mint info:
Linux Mint website,
Podcast Entry and exit music provided by Mark Blasco. http://www.podcastthemes.com/ The podcast’s bumpers were provided by Oscar.
If your browser supports HTML5 try the HTML5 player here:
Your browser doesn’t support the HTML5 audio element